July 12, 2008

Jon Ellis Pangilinan on Jon Ellis Pangilinan


May 2008


I grew up in Taytay, Rizal although born in Sta. Cruz, Tondo in 1981, the eldest son of Marciano, an engineer and Elizabeth, a banker. Accepted to the UP-Diliman School of Economics in 1998, I became active in numerous community and socio-civic activities of the Economics Society, taking to heart its motto, “Excellence. Service. Tradition.”

In 2000, I joined my family in Hawaii. I continued my studies at UH-Manoa where I was inducted to the Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society in Economics. For two years, I was editor-in-chief of Katipunan Magazine (the official publication of the UH Filipino and Philippine Literature Program) and set standards for succeeding student editors. I graduated with a BA in Economics and Minor in Filipino in 2004.

After graduation, my fighting maroon attitude and warrior instinct helped as I became a Budget Analyst for the Hawaii State Senate Ways and Means Committee (WAM) where I helped craft the State budget. At age 23, I joined the Office of the Ombudsman as its youngest analyst/investigator. Knowing government and Filipino language/culture helped me assist residents, many of them Filipinos, with grievances against the government. After two years plus of investigative experience, I returned to WAM as a Budget Analyst in the midst of a very challenging economy. I plan to apply for admission to the UH William S. Richardson School of Law.

My UP socio-civic awareness always burning, I helped organize the NAFFAA Region XII Conference. I volunteer for fellow UP’ian Ime Gasmen’s Filipino for Kids Program, every summer since 2005. When asked, I share my expertise in Baybayin, the ancient Filipino script, and sipa, our national sport.

I enjoy playing music, writing, surfing, basketball, darts and lately, golf. A devout Catholic, I am a servant leader of the Singles for Christ-Hawaii, as well as its music ministry coordinator.

No comments: